Thursday, January 8, 2009

Twitter: The Water Cooler For Mobile Workers - Information Management Blog - InformationWeek

As a "cloudworker" I've learned just how isolated one can feel when your daily commute is the few steps from the bedroom to the home office, and your colleagues typically manifest themselves as lines of text in an email or IM or, at best, disembodied voices  on your cellphone.

So while I was a bit surprised that IW columnist Andrew Conry-Murray had only recently started using Twitter, I have to agree completely with his assessment of Twitter's role in keeping me connected to the world beyond my walls.

Murray writes:

Enter Twitter. I started using it before the holidays, and suddenly I don't feel so trollish any more. Via Twitter you can swap jokes with co-workers, get updates on their personal lives, and dip into a steady stream of industry gossip.

But for me Twitter is far more than a gossip channel. It's a powerful tool I use throughout the day to communicate with a growing network of people who are members of the community that is the focus of my work.  At this point, my job would be so much more difficult without Twitter.

Read Murray's post: Twitter: The Water Cooler For Mobile Workers - Information Management Blog - InformationWeek

No comments:

Post a Comment